Pittsburgh Beverage Grade Gas Supplier
Greco Gas has been a significant supplier and distributor of PurityPlus® Argon, Nitrogen and other preservation gases to the Pittsburgh area’s food and beverage industry for many years. We’ve become a much sought-after source of these gases. Let’s discuss beverage gases and how they work.
Beverage Gases & How They Work
Nitrogen (N2) is probably the more conventional of the noble gases applied to blanket and protect the food and beverages we eat and drink. Nitrogen gas is used to top off beverages prior to sealing to help keep the drinks fresh in taste and appearance.
The use of Carbon Dioxide for beverage carbonation and dispensing goes back more than 125 years. Today tens of thousands of point-of-use beverage dispensers rely on beverage-grade CO2 shipped in cylinders of varied capacities. This gas helps guarantee a superior final product since it’s carbonated by a clean gas that’s taste and odor-free by preparation and analysis.
Beer Dispensing & Tap Systems
Contemporary local microbreweries, restaurants, and taverns, in particular – not to mention world-class breweries – tend to specify PurityPlus® beverage-grade carbon dioxide for beer dispensing. Equally preferred are special mixtures of Nitrogen and Carbon Dioxide, given that they make it easier to pour a lot of those well-liked Porter-style dark beers properly.
We provide microbreweries and brewpubs in and around Pittsburgh with the specialty gases they require: CO2 and Nitrogen, primarily, and mixed beverage gases. And the local link is what’s supremely important to our microbrewery and brewpub customers. You guarantee that they’ll always have access to the PurityPlus® gases they need when you need them. Uses include:
- Bulk containers of CO2 add the “fizz” to beer – in bottles or cans on microbrewery production lines and in mugs or glasses when dispensed at the brewpub bar.
- Nitrogen is indispensable in creating a very smooth, creamy Guinness-style beer and, more generally, for preventing oxidation in the headspace of a bottle or can, which can change taste and color.
- Nitrogen, again, for use in dispensing draft beer.
Winemakers tend to prefer Argon for blanketing wine tanks, carboys, and barrels. What draws them to Argon are these factors: 1) Unlike Oxygen, Argon will not react with wine to bring about any adverse characteristics; and 2) Argon is heavier than Oxygen, so its elevated density assures that more of the gas will be in more prolonged contact with the surface of the wine, impeding microbial spoilage. Applying Argon to purge the headspace in wine containers is known as flushing or sparging. It’s exceedingly effective, allowing the wine to be suitably aged or kept safely in storage for long, unrestricted periods of time.
If beverage bottling, brew making or winemaking is your vocation, or if you are a regional pub or restaurant serving freshly dispensed beers and carbonated beverages, contact Greco Gas, your Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania’s PurityPlus® Partner, for a steady, trustworthy source of beverage gases.
Ways to Procure Beverage Gases
- Direct Delivery to Business (Unfortunately we do not deliver to residences)
- Refill While You Wait – (Tarentum Branch only - 100% CO2 only)
- Cylinder Drop Off/Pickup/Swap(All Branches) – Contact us directly for more details
Our Beverage Grade Gases
Greco Gas is registered with the FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) and follows all strict guidelines for handling and packaging food and beverage grade gases, including:
- Carbon Dioxide (Food & Beverage Grade)
- Nitrogen (Food & Beverage Grade)
- Beer Mixes- Carbon Dioxide + Nitrogen Blends (Food & Beverage Grade)
- Dry Ice Pellets(Food & Beverage Grade – 3mm and 16mm available sizes)
Beverage Gas Cylinder Sizes
(High Pressure – 100% Food & Beverage Grade Carbon Dioxide)
- 2.5 Lbs.
- 5.0 Lbs.
- 10.0 Lbs.
- 15.0 Lbs.
- 20.0 Lbs.
- 50.0 Lbs.
- 75.0 Lbs.
Beverage Grade Gas Mixes Available
Contact us for Pricing & Sizes Available
- 60%/40% - CO2/N2
- 75%/25% - CO2/N2
- 70%/30% - CO2/N2
- 80%/20% - CO2/N2
- 60%/40% - N2/CO2
- 75%/25% N2/CO2 - (Guinness® Mix/G-Gas)
Cryogenic Beverage Gas Tanks
Carbon Dioxide, Refrigerated Liquid and Nitrogen, Refrigerated Liquid
- 180 Liter – Liquid Cryogenic Cylinder (Carbon Dioxide and Nitrogen)
- 230 Liter - Liquid Cryogenic Cylinder (Caster Wheel Model; Easily Portable – Nitrogen only)
Food and Beverage Markets Served
- Stadiums & Sports Arenas
- Breweries (Micro, Craft and Large)
- Bars, Pubs, Taprooms
- Beverage Producers (Sparkling & Non-sparkling)
- Beer Distributors
- Individual Consumers/Homebrewers (Kegerators/Jockey Boxes/Home Bars)
- Wineries/Wine Dispensaries
- Grocery Stores/Supermarkets
- Movie Theaters
- Nitro Coffee Shops
- Country Clubs/Private Clubs
Custom Gas Mixtures also available
brands we carryLearn More
Gain the information you need from Greco Gas and our resources page. We make available safety data sheets, general product safety knowledge, and related company and industry news for our customers.Learn More